Amanda M. Good
Shelley G. Volz
Amanda (Mandy) M. Good is a partner with Hirst Applegate, LLP, where she has practiced law since 2006. She has been awarded an AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell and is recognized by both Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers. She is a past-President of the Defense Lawyers Association of Wyoming (DLAW) and Defense Research Institute’s 2015 Fred H. Sievert Award Winner. Prior to joining Hirst Applegate, Mandy attended the Texas Tech School of Law in Lubbock, Texas where she graduated with honors, Magna Cum Laude, and Order of the Barristers. While at Texas Tech, Mandy was part of a 2-person team that won the International Negotiation Competition in Dublin, Ireland and was recognized as Texas Tech’s Outstanding Trial Advocate for 2004-2005. She obtained her Bachelor’s Degree in Animal Science (with a Business emphasis) from Texas Tech, graduating first in her class, and was inducted in 2013 into Texas Tech University’s Department of Animal and Food Sciences Hall of Fame. Prior to attending Texas Tech, Mandy obtained dual Associate Degrees from Casper College in Casper, WY and worked as a firefighter on the Custer National Forest. Her practice is focused on Civil Litigation, including Employment Litigation and Counseling, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death, Trucking and other Transportation Litigation, Public Utilities Law, Real Estate Litigation, Insurance Litigation and the prosecution or defense of a variety of other civil matters.
2013 to present – Partner, Hirst Applegate, LLP
- Practice areas include: Civil Litigation, Trucking & Transportation Litigation, Employment Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, Public Utilities Law, Insurance Defense Litigation, Administrative Hearings and Appeals, Contract Litigation, and Employment Counseling.
2006 to 2013 – Associate, Hirst Applegate, LLP
Summer 2005 – Law Clerk for Crenshaw, Dupree & Milam (Lubbock, TX) (1/2 summer); Law Clerk for Sprouse
Shrader Smith (Amarillo, TX) (1/2 summer)
2004 – Law Clerk, Texas Tech University Office of Technology Transfer and Intellectual Property
2003 – Congressional Intern, U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Agriculture
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif, 2006
- Texas Tech University, B.S. (Animal Science, with a Business emphasis) Summa Cum Laude , 2002
- Casper College, Dual Associate of Science Degrees, Summa Cum Laude, Agricultural Communications and Agriculture, 2000
- Defense Lawyers Association of Wyoming (DLAW) \President 2015-2017
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
- Wyoming State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- American Quarter Horse Association
- Laramie County Bar Association
- Leadership Cheyenne Graduate – 2010
- Cheyenne Kiwanis Club, 2006 – 2015
- Obtained extremely favorable result for an electric public utility following a two-day administrative hearing in a general rate case filing, in a hotly contested cost of power adjustment proceeding, and in a dispute regarding a multi-million dollar deposit issue.
- Settled a breach of contract claim on behalf of a hospital for approximately 1/10th of the potential value of the claim.
- Successfully tried and obtained a defense verdict in a bench trial on behalf of a landlord client.
- Obtained summary judgment on both punitive damages and direct negligence claims for employer and employee clients in a motor vehicle accident case.
- Convinced the Department of Labor to stop pursing charges by multiple employees against an employment client, due to a FLSA exclusion that applied to the client.
- Obtained a favorable resolution to a fraud, negligent misrepresentation, and civil conspiracy (among other claims) case involving over 190 Plaintiffs.
- Successfully tried and obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial regarding motor vehicle accident injuries.
- In re Application of Powder River Energy Corp, Docket No. 10014-175-CT-16, Record No. 14561, Memo Opinion, Finding & Order (Wyo. Pub. Serv. Comm’n July 23, 2017)
- In re Application of Powder River Energy Corp., Docket No. 10014-172-CP-16, Record No. 14441, Memo. Opinion, Findings & Order (Wyo. Pub, Serv. Comm’n Feb. 28, 2017)
- In re Application of Powder River Energy Corp., Docket No. 10014-168-CR-16, Record No. 14314, Memo. Opinion, Findings & Order Approving Rate Increase (Wyo. Pub, Serv. Comm’n Nov. 23, 2016)
- Central Wyoming Neurosurgery, LLC v. Barta-Iso Aviation, et al., 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 80546 (June 6, 2013 D. Wyo.)
- Broderick v. Dairyland Insurance Corporation 270 P. 3d 684(Wyo. 2012)
- White v. Shane Edeburn Constr., LLC et al., 285 P.3d 949 (Wyo. 2012)
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. v. Ortega, 494 Fed. Appx. 912 (Aug. 21, 2012 10th Cir.)
- Teton Millwork v. Schlossberg, 2009 U.S. App. LEXIS 2578 (10th Cir. 2009)
- Beardsley v. Farmland Co-Op, Inc. 530 F. 3d 1309 (10th Cir. 2008)
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- 2016 – Co Author “Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress in an Era of Inescapable, Instantly Accessible, Live Media,” Wyoming Lawyer Oct 2016.
- 2016 – Co Author “Medicare Liens: Why They Matter and What to Do About Them,” Wyoming Lawyer Feb. 2016.
- 2015 – Presentation, “Insight from a State Representative” (How the Defense Lawyers Association of Wyoming has grown exponentially and the benefits of DRI membership to support that growth), on August 18, 2015
- 2015 – Presentation, Employment Law – Never Stop Learning, given to the Frontier Human Resources Association on May 19, 2015
- 2014 – Presentation regarding Tips For Successful Motions Practice given at the Harmonie Transportation and Litigation Management Seminar (Dallas, TX)
- 2014 – Emergency Response Planning, In Transit, October 20, 2014.
- 2013 – Presentation on Direct Negligence Claims in the Face of Respondeat Superior Claims
- 2009 – Harmonie Presentation on Direct Negligence Claims in Trucking Law
ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- 2018 – Best Lawyers recognized for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendant
- 2017 – Recognized in Super Lawyers in the area of public utilities law
- Wyoming Business Report’s 2015 Top 40 Under Forty
- 2015-2017: President of Defense Lawyer Association of Wyoming
- 2015: Fred H. Sievert Award Winner, presented by The Defense Research Institute
- 2013 – 2016 DRI State Representative
- 2013 – AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory beginning in 2013
- 2012-2014: Cheyenne Kiwanis Club Ag-Committee Chairwoman
- 2006 to 2014: Cheyenne Kiwanis Club (2006-2009, Secretary of the Agriculture Committee)
- 2008 to 2010 : High School Mock Trial Coach
- 2006 – Named to Order of the Barristers for Texas Tech School of Law
- 2005 – International Negotiation Competition, World Champion
- 2004 to 2005: Outstanding Trial Advocate from Texas Tech Law Trial Advocacy classes
Ms. Good and her husband Paul have two children, Evelyn and Brooklyn. They enjoy outdoor activities including, water sports, downhill skiing and riding horses.