Kara L. Ellsbury
Kara L. Ellsbury is an associate at Hirst Applegate. She first joined Hirst Applegate in 2010 and worked for the firm through 2013. After leaving Hirst Applegate to move closer to home, she rejoined the firm in 2015. Kara practices for the firm remotely from Sundance, Wyoming. Kara graduated from the University of Wyoming College of Law in 2010, with honors and Order of the Coif, and was awarded the Excellence in Advocacy Award. While at the University of Wyoming, Kara was a member of the team that won the Rothgerber Mock Trial Competition and advanced to the regional competition. She also participated in the Wyoming Law Review, publishing a case note and serving as a comment editor. Kara’s practice is focused primarily in the area of civil litigation, including personal injury and wrongful death defense, insurance litigation, medical malpractice defense,employment law and litigation, and public utilities and energy law.
June 2015 to present – Associate, Hirst Applegate, LLP
- Practice areas include: Civil Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, Wrongful Death Defense; Insurance Litigation; Medical Malpractice Defense; Employment Law and Litigation, Trucking Litigation, Products Liability Litigation, Contract Litigation and Public Utilities and Energy Law.
November 2013 to May 2015 – Associate, Hughes Law Office
2010 to June 2013 – Associate, Hirst Applegate, LLP
Spring of 2010 – Student Intern, UW Domestic Violence Legal Assistance Project
Summer of 2009 – Law Clerk, Hirst Applegate, LLP
Summer of 2008 – Law Clerk, Hirst Applegate, LLP
Summer of 2006 – Legislative Intern for United States Senator Michael B. Enzi
- University of Wyoming, J.D., (Order of the Coif, with honors), 2010
- University of Wyoming, B.S. (Accounting), cum laude, 2007
- In re Application of Powder River Energy Corp, Docket No. 10014-175-CT-16, Record No. 14561, Memo Opinion, Finding & Order (Wyo. Pub. Serv. Comm’n July 23, 2017)
- In re Application of Powder River Energy Corp., Docket No. 10014-172-CP-16, Record No. 14441, Memo. Opinion, Findings & Order (Wyo. Pub, Serv. Comm’n Feb. 28, 2017)
- In re Application of Powder River Energy Corp., Docket No. 10014-168-CR-16, Record No. 14314, Memo. Opinion, Findings & Order Approving Rate Increase (Wyo. Pub, Serv. Comm’n Nov. 23, 2016)
- Campbell County Memorial Hospital v. Pfeifle, 2014 WY 3, 317 P.3d 573 (Wyo. 2014)
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress in an Era of Inescapable, Instantly Accessible, Live Media (authored with Amanda Good and published in the Wyoming Lawyer)
- Re-writing Wyoming’s Co-employee Liability Statute, 9 Wyo. L. Rev. 645 (2009)
ACTIVITIES & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- 2015 to present: Vice President of Programs for the Defense Lawyers Association of Wyoming
- 2014 to present: Vice President of Kid Prints, Inc.
- 2010 to 2013: Central High School Mock Trial Coach
- 2010: Excellence in Advocacy Award, University of Wyoming College of Law
- 2009 to 2010: Rothgerber Mock Trial Competition Championship Team
- 2009 to 2010: Wyoming Law Review, Comment Editor
- 2008 to 2009: Wyoming Law Review, Staff
- Wyoming Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Lawyers Association of Wyoming, DLAW
- Electric Cooperative Bar Association
Ms. Ellsbury is married to Levi C. Ellsbury; they have two children.